Tuesday, October 30, 2007

The Optimist




I look up
from my cross-legged position on the floor. I'm under a spotlight so I can see the work layed out before me, a mix of colors, beautiful not because I'm an extraordinary painter, but beautiful because the colors exist. He watches the evening news while I tip-toe green paint along the shore of a palm-sized lake, and I'm satisfied that the remaining trail at least remotely resembles plant life.

A newscaster blares, "California Burning: It was Arson."

I outline the shapes of a man and a woman sitting in a rowboat in the swirling blue, green, white, brown and gray waters. They are leaning towards each other and I imagine they are engrossed in playfully happy conversation. I add to their shapes in parts and pieces and pull my shoulders back to take in the big picture. Incomplete, the forms remind me of a negative photograph.

"2 dead after gun battle in police chase."

I mix a collection of off-white and tan to create a color resembling human skin. As delicately as possible, I add the color to the man's profile. It becomes clear that his gaze rests on his rowboat companion as he guides the boat with the oars in his hands.

"Woman killed after answering Craigslist nanny ad."

The young woman in the boat is wearing sunglasses. I add dark brown to my complexion palette and sweep the paint brush onto the canvas to form the strands of her hair. With my brush, her hair grows long, all the way down her back, wisps falling across and over her right shoulder.

"Offical quits over child sex charge."

"Lawyer accused of theft found dead."

"Schools consider grading parents."

"Dad dies after teens throw tent pole."

"Woman admits to QVC scam of $400K."

"Masks banned after robbery spree."

"Disabled man shoots intruder."

"Bowling ball crashes into car."

"Man gets jail for throwing pickles."

"Ashes of dozens found in storage unit."

"Bear slashes face of woman."

The paint dries like crystallized honey resting at the bottom of a plastic bear, the twosome, serene and quiet. Their clothing, hair, skin and eyes have come into soft focus.

I hear the television click off, and he is standing above me. "Your painting is beautiful. Wouldn't it be nice if we were there, if those two people were us?"

I notice the sky in my painting. I had used too much black with the blue in the left corner and I began to see it as a dark cloud in the distance. It was there, but it was still, unfocused and far away over the colorful horizon, never approaching, never to intrude upon their peacefulness. I saw the smudges where my hand failed in its steadiness. This world was imperfect and darkness stood close to them, yet they were at peace, their eyes on each other to keep the imperfection out of focus.

I nod and look up to meet his eyes. Yes, I would like to live like that.



2 comments:

emily said...

i just realized why you are an amazing writer...you take your time to build rock solid imagery. it really saturates the readers brain and "eye." i love this piece. (omg, i sound like a professor)

Unknown said...

I came to your page as a mutual acquaintance pointed towards your awesomeness as a writer. I haven't looked at all of your pieces yet, but this is my favorite. The sharp contrast between painting and the actual world is a hook, but then you connect all of the imperfections together. I love it.