Friday, October 19, 2007

Ashes, Ashes, We All Fall Down

A coworker told me there were donuts in the downstairs kitchen. I tore out of my office and made a beeline for the stairwell. I could taste the vanilla creme with sprinkles. My steps quickened over the concrete in my professional attire, a white button-down shirt, gray slacks and black pumps... At 3 p.m. on a Friday at the office, a sugar high could not come soon enough. I frowned...there was something about the pants I was wearing that I couldn't quite recall.... Ahhh yes, how hazardous the billowing pant leg and prominent cuff could be on a clutzy fool like me, especially when paired with heels, stairs, and speed....

...A few months back on my way down my apartment building's stairs, those very slacks seriously tripped me up. I remembered having to violently fling my purse away from my body as I folded over the railing. I was able to regain my balance, but only after teetering in a poor attempt of poise-under-pressure while I observed the sound my bag made when it thudded onto the vestibule floor. These were a dangerous pair of pants I was wearing.

Maybe it was this fleeting memory that triggered today's tumble. This time, I took a few steps before my left heel tucked itself into in the cuff of my right pant leg. I lurched forward with no available feet to land on. I grabbed the railing and my feet slipped out. My body twisted into a knot from my toes to my knuckles and my fingers tied themselves into a pretty little bow around the steel handrail. It's quite possible I pulled a ligament in my right shoulder. At least I got my donut.



2 comments:

sarah elizabeth said...

yes yes silly joanna. your glass in half full right it is ;)

emily said...

life is just one big quest to get a donut. you have to find a way to avoid obstacles. in your case, you should probably just stop wearing pants. welcome to blog land...